Skip to main content

Featured

Then I had Brain Surgery

 "He . . . binds up their wounds." (Ps147:3) This is me coming home from the following adventure... Remember when I told you I was going to be able to delay the need to have brain surgery? Just kidding!  On Monday March 7th, I had a seizure at home which resulted in a fall.  That night, Kendra and I decided that it wasn't a good idea for her to have to manage this situation at home, wondering if I might have another seizure and / or fall, So she took me to the ER at UCLA, where I got a fresh MRI of my brain.   The MRI showed that two tumors which had received radiation a few weeks prior had grown in size (#notallowed).  This growth led the brain experts (is it just me or do others agree that “Brain Expert” would be a cool thing to have on a business card?) to conclude that the seizure had probably been caused by these enlarged tumors (also #notallowed).  Prior plans to put off surgery?  Cancelled.  These free loaders have been given enough ...

Treatment 2

"...let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" (Ps 31:24)

Dear family and friends,

I had my second treatment today, and it went just fine.  Not much to report, really.  I went on my own, since George can't be there and it made more sense for Kendra to stay home with him.  I was able to catch a ride with a friend who works near UCLA, so I didn't have to drive home after the infusion.  We've been offered a lot of driving help, both for my appointments and for various kid needs, so that's something we're really grateful for.

On Tuesday when we got back from Ireland (see Kendra's or my Facebook feeds or the Catholic All Year Instagram feed for some pictures, as well as video of Jack performing in a Dublin pub #prouddad).
I had a brief coughing fit on the drive home from the airport.  Looking at the hazy LA skyline, I briefly wondered if I had gotten so used to the fresh air in Ireland that I was too wimpy for LA smog now.  Then I noticed on Wednesday and Thursday a return of the somewhat wheezy breathing which in the last post I mentioned had cleared up.  My theory is that this week's cough was the effect of the first infusion wearing off toward the end of the two week interval between treatments.  But I didn't go all the way back to feeling the same way I did before beginning treatment.  It was more of a "two steps forward, half a step back" phenomenon.  I took this as a good sign that the infusion was really working and that perhaps the cumulative effect over time would be to knock the disease back more each time over the long run.  I mentioned all this to my oncologist today, and he said that my theory could be true.  He didn't want to commit to anything, but he said that the treatments can definitely start to work as soon as a few days after initiation.  I hope this all makes sense, but to reiterate - I think this cough this week was a really good sign.

I found out that my next CT scan will be in the July 27-Aug 3 window, so that's when we'll know more about whether my theory has any merit.

On the Catholic calendar today we commemorate the lives of John Fisher and Thomas More, executed for their objections to the actions of Henry VIII.  Thomas More, the Man for All Seasons, is a hero for our times, I think.  Second only to the King in his power and influence at the time of his imprisonment, he was the wealthiest and most successful lawyer in London before he ever became Chancellor.  Yet he took very intentional actions to ensure that he remained humble.  He took an intense interest in the upbringing of his children.  He was a devoted husband.  He gave up everything on earth - all the wealth and power - and went to his death because he believed that the truth was on his side.  I want to stand for what is right as firmly as he did, and not fear loss of possessions, career, friendships, life - and that sure is hard sometimes.  Anyway, we celebrated in our house with Fish(er) N Chips and St. Thomas'Mores - all credit to Kendra for that!

Thanks for the continued prayers.  They mean a tremendous amount to us.

With fortitude and prayers for you,

Jim

Comments

  1. I think your theory sounds great! Continued prayers and offering up for you and your family. I saw Jack on Kendra’s Facebook...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. Praying especially for your intentions.

      Delete
  2. I realized I never mentioned that I found your blog because I read Kendra's blog! So sorry about that! I don't have FB but I check out Kendra's page from time to time to see the Catholic All Year happenings and I saw your son singing with the band and the adventures y'all had in Ireland. What a memory of a lifetime! Continued prayers for your healing. I asked the cloistered Carmelite nuns here in Alhambra to pray for your healing and your family as you go through treatment. They are powerful intercessors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Carmelite Sisters are a beautiful community.

      Delete
  3. You mentioned Kendra being kind of a big deal... so are you!
    I had a crazy week last week and was on a plane that couldn't land in Minneapolis and was detoured to Wisconsin. I became chatty with a couple because we all three pulled out rosaries to pass time, and well when you do that it starts conversations.
    As we chatted and they learned I was from SoCal, they asked if I knew you. (I don't... but I have been to your home thanks to Kendra and Michaela's wonderful retreats.) Anyway.... I thought you might smile knowing that random airplane strangers shared that we were all praying for YOU and your family.
    With prayers and gratitude for all blessings,
    Jill in Claremont
    PS- I've been on interferon for sarcoma... and ugh. Glad that year is behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what an amazing connection. Thanks for all your prayers, and count on them from us that your sarcoma stays away.

      Delete
  4. Dear Jim, Kendra and family,
    We are following you so closely from Spain, through your news you post so often. We are touched seeing how you are facing this probe. Your faith, peace, joy and confidence in God’s hands is such an example for all of us. As I told you in my previous email I sent you, since several years ago you and your family are present on my daily prayers. Now, you are more present than ever. Physical distance is not an issue at all to be so close.
    We have seen you had great time during your trip to Ireland with your fantastic family. Now, that you are back to LA it brings so many memories to my mind. Hope to see you soon in LA, in Madrid or wherever God put us together.
    We send you our best hug, love and prayers.
    “Marines: Semper fidelis”.
    Nando and Mar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nando and Mar. We are grateful for your prayers and we miss you very much!

      Grandes abrazos,

      Jim & Kendra +9

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts